Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Things I Only Buy at D.I.


All of these books were purchased from D.I. for $1 or $1.50


Most people have go-to stores for certain items. For instance, you may only shop for jeans at Gap, gas up exclusively at Costco or maybe you always buy craft supplies at the Dollar Store. Me? I only buy books at the thrift store. Seriously.

I love to read and try to utilize my local library as often as possible. But I also love to own books. There is something about a bookcase full of books that just makes me happy. Nerdy, yes, but true. I especially like to buy books I've already read so that I can lend them to friends or re-read them on vacation.

Purchasing books full-price can be expensive, especially when you speed-read through them like I do. (I can't help it, it's genetic). My sister (and crazy-bookworm) Melody clued me to shopping for books at D.I. The first time I went to look for books with her at the Mesa Deseret Industries, I was completely blown away. The place was stocked with tons of brand-new or like-new bestsellers, many with the Costco price stickers still on them. There were multiple copies of especially popular titles, and most of the books were $1.

Now, I check the bookshelf every.single.time I go to the thrift store. If I can't find a book at D.I. or Savers, I put in a request with Mel and she can usually it for me.

Other things I always buy at thrift stores:
• corkboards (there are seriously a plethora at thrift stores and I usually cover them with fabric or paint the trim, so why buy new?)
• plates for my plate wall (I'll be posting a picture this week)
• picture frames for projects — I've never have much luck finding really nice frames but I have found ones that are decent enough to spiff up with paint
• backpacks and bags for 72-hour kits (and clothes for kits, for that matter)

Am I the only person that has go-to thrift store items? Tell me I'm not alone ...




3 comments:

  1. Just this week I decided I need to buy more books. My love for libraries has led to bare bookshelves in my home. When I do buy books, they're always from used bookstores or thrift stores. Oh, and check out used books on Amazon if you can't find a particular title at a store -- you can often find them for under a dollar, plus a couple dollars for shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Amazon tip! I don't ever think to check but I know you can find pretty much anything on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caleb and I recently discovered buying books as thrift stores since we've been in calgary. There are always so many new titles to choose from. It pays to live in a city that has a lot of money! I can usually find a lot of really good books.

    ReplyDelete